5 Notes about TOEFL listening practice test
For international students planning to pursue undergraduate or postgraduate studies, the TOFEL listening section is critical in the final evaluation of your TOFEL listening practice test. The listening practice test is designed to assess test takers’ listening skills and the extent to which they can understand a conversation, particularly in an academic context.
What distinguishes TOEFL is the listening practice part particularly, which allows you to take notes while you are listening to the recorded conversation, and then the related answers will show up. This article elmadrasah.com will help you to realize more about the TOEFL listening practice test, and what it takes to pass it successfully.
TOEFL listening practice Structure
The listening section of the TOEFL iBT practice consists of 6 recordings with questions about each recording:
- The recordings are 3 to 4 academic lectures of 3 to 5 minutes in length with 6 questions about each lecture, and 2 to 3 recorded conversations of a student or teacher of 2 to 3 minutes in length with five questions about each conversation.
- The duration of the listening section ranges from 41 to 57 minutes.
- The listening section of the TOEFL Essentials test consists of 30 to 45 questions on 4 different types of recordings. Two types of recordings are conversations between native English speakers (General English), and two types are academic content recordings. The length of the TOEFL listening section ranges from 21 to 34 minutes.
- Students can only listen to each recording once, and you cannot advance or look back during the TOEFL Listening test. During the TOEFL listening section, you are allowed to take notes, and you can refer to your notes while answering questions. Your notes are collected at the end of the TOEFL listening section to prevent cheating.
Discover TOEFL exam cost in the UAE
The questions in the TOEFL listening test assess understanding, but it is also important to synthesize information and be able to extract conclusions from what you hear. It is common for questions to address the speaker’s attitudes, beliefs, or motives for speaking.
- The recordings used during the listening section are primarily academic content, in which speakers speak with an American accent. However there is always at least one recording in another dialect, be it British, Australian, or New Zealand. The listening section of the TOEFL iBT Essentials test also includes general conversations in English.
- Additional questions may be added in the listening section of the TOEFL test without their scores being counted towards your TOEFL score. These questions are used by test makers to calibrate the TOEFL iBT. This is why you find that the section on listening is longer than expected. However, you can’t tell which questions won’t count, so it’s important that you do your best to answer all the questions in the listening section.
TOEFL and IELTS : Which one should you go for?
TOEFL listening points
- The TOEFL iBT Listening section is scored from 0 to 30. Any point in the Listening section above 22 is considered good, and any point above 9 in the Listening section of the Essentials is also considered good.
- When you have finished the TOEFL listening section, you will have a 10-minute break. Relief your mind, because the TOEFL test is halfway done now! The next part of the TOEFL iBT is the conversation section.
After understanding the TOEFL test listening test system, here are 5 tips on how to take notes about the TOFEL listening practice test;
- Don’t take notes on everything
If you write down everything, you will barely hear the conversation and focus on it. It’s very likely to focus on the important things, to be able to use them later on the main questions. Don’t distract yourself or tempt it! Because writing down everything really doesn’t make any sense, you will be asked on the TOEFL listening about the key points, and the main ideas.
You must be familiar with the different types of TOEFL Listening questions so that you can anticipate them when taking notes. Knowing the types of questions you’ll be asked makes it a lot easier because you’ll know exactly what to listen for and what to write down. This will keep you from taking unnecessary notes. This means that taking notes will be less stressful, and you will take the correct notes, resulting in a high TOEFL Listening score.
- Consider making use of abbreviations and symbols.
When taking notes in TOEFL Listening, use abbreviations and symbols. This saves you a significant amount of time. Use arrows to show that something is a result of something else, or the plus symbol to show that the speaker is adding an idea. It is critical that you use symbols that make sense to you, help you take notes more quickly, and help you understand the key points. As a result, use symbols that you are familiar with because you must understand your notes in order to answer the questions.
- Practice the mindful thinking
The mindfulness techniques will allow you to focus on the smallest details and have strong stamina to solve any question in any noisy or distracting atmosphere. Mindfulness has been shown to improve attention, reduce stress, and increase retention. To learn, a student must use her prefrontal cortex to focus and monitor her attention, as well as to inhibit impulsive distraction tendencies.
- Practice and correct your mistakes with a private tutor.
It’s recommended to use a private tutor, to help you in the TOEFL listening practice. That will be a time-savvy trick, you could do it when your exam date is near. The tutor will facilitate it for you, imagine you have a proactive study partner. Elmadrasah.com recommends to you our TOEFL preparation course. The course will work on your listening skills from scratch, and also the correction process of your answers like you are in the test hall. We are experts in simulating the test system and letting you practice till you guarantee your excellency, our course bundle also includes the other sections of the practice of the exam, whether you will take TOEFL iBT or TOEFL iTP you are in trustworthy hands.
So this was the nutshell of TOEFL listening practice, and how to pass the notes part, you could also read more about TOEFL on Top instructions you should know about TOEFL