Do you notice that your child cannot read well? Sometimes this frustrates him and he does not want to read. There are some children who face a problem of Reading Difficulties in Children at an early age, which affects their academic progress and language development. To solve this problem, some methods and techniques can be used that help in reading problem solutions to children.
In this article, we will talk about some of the mysteries of reading difficulties, and how to solve it, in order to help parents of children to improve their reading skills.
What are the Reading Difficulties in Children?
Reading difficulties are common problems that many children face, and these difficulties are represented in the inability to read correctly and understandably, and this problem continues in many school stages.
Among the most important reasons that lead to causes of reading difficulties, can be mentioned:
- Inability to concentrate.
- Weakness in memory and comprehension.
- Inability to understand the text read.
- These difficulties can also be caused by family, psychological, health, or social problems.
The reading problem solutions require knowing the symptoms and types of reading difficulties through which reading difficulties can be diagnosed in children.
Symptoms of reading difficulties in children
Reading Difficulties in Children are among the problems that children may face during their education, and the symptoms and causes of reading difficulties of these difficulties are:
- The ability to read is much lower than the expected level for their age, and this is evident after they enter school.
- Dyslexic children suffer from various disorders such as ADHD and Auditory Processing Disorder, which affect the development and achievement of the child.
- Dyslexic children have problems with poorly arranged letters.
- Inability to catch words.
- Inability to focus and maintain it for long periods.
- Difficulty expressing thoughts correctly is also sometimes noted.
How to diagnose reading difficulties in children?
The types of Reading Difficulties in Children can be identified through:
- Noting the symptoms mentioned in the previous paragraph.
- It is recommended to visit a specialist in learning difficulties to evaluate the child and assess his reading level.
- Conducting the necessary tests to determine the type of reading difficulties.
Types of reading difficulties in children
Many children experience symptoms of reading difficulties, and these difficulties are divided into several types, including:
- Difficulty identifying letters, sounds, and words.
- Difficulty understanding the meaning and concentrating while reading, and this can affect their progress in school.
- There are also difficulties related to the wrong reading method, where the child reads poorly and incorrectly, and it is difficult for him to understand the meaning and remember the words.
Reading Difficulties in Children must be supported and helped to overcome causes of reading difficulties, by providing moral support and appropriate exercises for each type of difficulty.
The reading problems solutions
In the event that a child is diagnosed with dyslexia, appropriate treatments and exercises can be applied to develop and improve reading skills in children, which are as follows:
In cooperation between parents and teachers and the use of various and innovative educational resources, reading skills can be developed for Reading Difficulties in Children effectively and help improve the performance and progress of the child in the study and daily life, as follows:
Focused reading training
Training the focused reading method is one of the effective methods for addressing Reading Difficulties in Children.
Through this method, the child is trained to focus on each letter and each word alone, which enhances the ability to understand the meaning and verbal and motor focus.
These exercises are presented in a fun and motivating manner that includes games and educational activities through the use of available resources and tools.
This helps the child to enhance self-confidence and restore positivity in reading.
- Discussion of visual comprehension exercises
Representing an essential part in developing reading skills and getting rid of the types of reading problems, this type of training transforms written vocabulary into expressive visual images, in order to facilitate interaction and understanding.
This type of training can be applied through the use of pictures, expressive drawings, and simple questions related to pictures, videos, and other visual aids can also be used.
- The method of teaching children the correct pronunciation
One of the important steps in treating the types of Reading Difficulties in Children is to teach them the utterances with the correct pronunciation.
Children can be trained in this by training the correct pronunciation, repeating similar words, and training the tongue to form the correct tidal sound.
Children can also be taught the foundations of grammar by pronouncing the words correctly and training them to imagine and embody the words in their mind, this can help improve language focus and improve language skills to improve reading and writing.
- Memorizing words by training memory and progressive familiarity
Memory training and progressive accretion are effective methods for improving reading skills to treat Reading Difficulties in Children.
Children’s learning involves ways to better remember and store words in memory, while the progressive accretion technique aims to promote the use of learned words in sentences in a more focused manner.
All in all, these exercises must be implemented in a system and a gradual manner, in order to deepen children’s understanding of vocabulary and improve their abilities in visual comprehension, and teachers and parents must remind children of the importance of practicing these methods regularly and integrating them into their daily lives to make it easier to remember words, enhance their abilities in reading and learning, and treat types of reading problems.
Use of reading enhancement resources
Tools and resources that promote the types of reading problems in these children are an essential piece of the educational process, allowing the child to benefit fully from reading problems solutions, he receives and helping him to treat causes of reading difficulties, and these resources include the following:
Language teaching applications, where experts point out the importance of organizing classes and programs for Reading Difficulties in Children, providing appropriate resources for each category of these children, and providing interactive opportunities suitable for different ages to improve correct reading skills.
- Use of paper and electronic resources
The use of paper and electronic resources is one of the effective methods in developing skills and reading problems solutions in children, you can use:
- Mind maps and visual diagrams help children better understand difficult texts and organize their thoughts.
- Employing electronic educational programs designed to develop reading skills, such as focusing on linguistic and auditory attention, and grammatical and morphological principles.
- Using paper resources such as books, magazines, and educational games to motivate children to read and improve symptoms of reading difficulties and their language levels, which in turn helps improve self-confidence and increase positivity in the reading process.
Employ play and educational activities
Employing play and educational activities is one of the effective methods in developing skills and reading problems solutions in Children, play is the best way to attract children’s attention and motivate them to learn in an entertaining and enjoyable way, you can use:
- Various educational activities, such as language games and motor activities, enhance children’s reading skills and develop their language and social skills.
- Interactive books and crafts can also be used to encourage children to read and develop their creativity.
Focus on linguistic and auditory attention
Verbal and auditory language skills are among the factors affecting the improvement of Reading Difficulties in Children with it.
Therefore, the focus should be placed on developing these skills by:
- Motivate children to listen attentively and focus on the spoken words.
- Speak clearly and clarify difficult sounds for them.
- Employing appropriate language exercises and educational activities that develop the child’s linguistic understanding and improve his hearing ability, and this includes audio activities such as listening to stories and audio songs.
- Playing games that teach the child knowledge of sounds, and introduce him to letters and words.
Enhancing self-confidence and positivity in reading
Enhancing self-confidence and positivity in reading is one of the important steps in treating types of reading problems.
Self-confidence and positivity in reading can be enhanced through:
- Offer encouragement and positivity at every stage of learning.
- Use positive motivation by discussing achievements and giving praise and rewards.
- Motivating children and involving them in interactive play activities, and gradually introducing reading exercises help to improve the level of self-confidence and encourage children to continue learning.
Parent and teacher cooperation
The cooperation of parents and teachers is essential to treat the types of Reading Difficulties in Children, by:
- Parents can use tools and resources available at home and employ play and educational activities to enhance children’s reading abilities.
- Paying attention to linguistic and auditory attention and enhancing self-confidence and positivity in reading.
- Children’s teachers can use paper and electronic tools in the classroom and develop reading skills effectively.
- They should focus on training children in focus reading and visual comprehension exercises.
In general, teachers and parents should work jointly to improve reading abilities and get rid of symptoms of reading difficulties in children.
Use of learning difficulties treatment sessions
Elmadrasah.com offers sessions to treat learning difficulties of all academic and developmental types, which gives parents the opportunity to receive appropriate support for their child and treat Reading Difficulties in Children with many of the advantages offered by these sessions as follows:
- Online sessions, you can receive them anywhere.
- The possibility of choosing the appropriate morning or evening appointments.
- Interactive confidential session via Zoom.
- At the hands of specialists in treating different types of Reading Difficulties in Children.
- Using all modern and advanced educational resources.
- Continuous follow-up with the child and parents to reach appropriate treatment for types of reading problems.