We’re living in a new world which is surrounded by new inventions and improvements, which led to changes in almost all fields whether it is related to professions or academics. However, one of the best advantages the technology of our day allowed is that it helped us to establish ideas easily or to have access to information we didn’t encounter before.
Like academic learning difficulties, which we didn’t know what is it or what are the symptoms or even how to deal with it, in this article we will be introduced to the best ways to deal with children who have an academic learning disorder.
What are the child’s academic learning difficulties?
Academic learning difficulties are considered mental growth disorders, which happen to children from a young age, and they affect the main mental skills; attention, focus, awareness, and thinking. As a result, the children usually encountered problems and issues throughout their academic learning path, besides the general contexts that the children usually fail in knowing how to deal with it.
On the other hand, there are plenty of people who relate this to their IQ standard or how intelligent they are, however, it is not necessary for children with academic learning difficulties to have such a low IQ, sometimes they have a high IQ, but without knowing how to deal with it.
Read more about Moms and dealing with reading difficulties
They usually have problems with:
They can’t write properly as they have a problem with linking the sounds to their symbols, that’s why they can’t identify suitably.
Children who have academic learning difficulties usually have linguistic issues, which led them to not being able to learn about the basics of writing and reading, besides that they can’t read or write and think at the same time.
As a result of what we mentioned earlier, academic learning difficulties are leading to a direct gap between the written and the spoken language, so it is hard for children to even spell the word.
Children with academic learning difficulties usually find it hard to understand simple basic mathematical equations.
The reasons for the academic learning difficulties
There are plenty of factors that can affect a child’s mental growth and lead to academic learning difficulties for instance:
Children can have some kind of effects during pregnancy or giving birth, and sometimes parents can have some kind of bad habits that affect the child or the foetus like having some kind of drugs that aren’t suitable for pregnancy.
This is usually led by some kind of disease or bacteria, that come from air or water pollution, or not having healthy nutrition, which can lead to getting an infection or a high temperature which directly affects the neuro system.
In some cases, some drugs related to psychological medicine can have side effects that just affect the brain.
Sometimes the brain can get a shock or a hit as an accident that affects him in the long run if it wasn’t treated.
The symptoms of them
The symptoms of academic learning difficulties differ from one case to another and from one age to another, however, there are plenty of symptoms that are common among children.
There are two types of symptoms:
First the academic:
- Difficulty in learning any skill.
- Hard to understand or apply anything related to the language like reading, writing, or spelling.
- Hard to understand and master basic mathematical equations.
- They can’t focus normally like the children they need intense attention towards them from their teachers because they don’t understand the words said to them easily.
- They can’t understand easily and need extra effort from them, their parents, or teachers.
- They get distracted easily and can’t focus.
Second the social:
- Hard to read the situation or act upon it.
- They lack the understanding of the language so they can’t get what has been said to them, and as a result, they may give responses or act improperly or not related.
- It’s hard for them to analyse or think about what’s happening around them and figure out what to do.
- They can’t easily deal with society or their companions.
- There is a gap between their feelings or emotions and their linguistic expression which is why they can’t express themselves well.
- Therefore, they can’t understand the other’s feelings too.
- They can be a bit aggressive or have extra physical activity.
- Emotional or over-sensitivity leads them to be over-anxious or worried most times.
- Besides the memorising and remembering issue generally.
Read more about 10 characteristics of a child with aggressive behavior, learn about them and how to deal with them
How can they be treated?
In order to find a solution to treat academic learning difficulties you need to know that these disorders can be cured by main activities and practices and sometimes they need medical intervention, but it depends on the condition and the case.
The behavioural treatment:
- Encouraging them to deal with society and their friends, not to isolate them.
- Trying to plan for a program or a routine that contains some exercises and activities done daily that are suitable for the child’s case and preferences.
- Not to force them to study but rather to find a way that they can enjoy.
- To not treat them differently or in an inferior way to their companions.
- Training the child to use their senses.
- Encouraging and supporting them constantly or using violence against them.
The medical treatment:
- In this condition, the child usually is not responding to the behavioural treatment or their condition needs first medical treatment and then to establish the behavioural treatment.
- It can’t be used unless it is from a specialist.
And we’re suggesting that you try the educational and behavioural consultancies in Elmadrasah.com, where you will find:
- The best analysis of your child’s condition by the best consultants and teachers.
- They can guide you and help your child in learning both how to deal with their academic learning difficulties, and their educational subjects.
- According to the analysis, there will be a flexible program that will enhance your child’s perception.
- Using modern methods and enjoyable tools to make the learning process more exciting.
- Flexible schedules and materials.
- You can attend the course anywhere as it is fully remote.
- The sessions’ atmosphere is friendly with the child and interactive so they can act and do whatever they like.